Thursday, January 31, 2008

At last, Sister Bella surfaces

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bella the Chihuahua, the tiny dog who brought big fears to the Mexican countryside during her 2006 reign of terror, has been ordered held indefinitely without trial at a high-security military brig, sources said Thursday.

One military official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the dog was deemed too much of a threat to be allowed in the conventional criminal justice system.

"We are in a war on terror," the official said, "and this dog personifies terror."

Rights groups have traditionally condemned such indefinite detentions and suspensions of habeas corpus. But in this instance, they were largely silent.

One lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union, who asked to remain anonymous, said his group understood the government's position in holding the highly dangerous, shriek-prone Chihuahua.

"Clearly, she is a menace to all within earshot," he said.

7 comments:

Nevis said...

Well, clearly.

Sarah said...

Amazing how she can look so innocent (with her mouth closed).

Nan and B.A.G.S. the pug said...

oh no... is she suffering from bi-polar like Brit?

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry it came to this. I had high hopes for Bella when she was under your care. I hope she has lots of rawhide to keep her busy.

Lucy said...

I feel safer...

Bogart H. Devil said...

Oh great one,

My mama wants to send you something - a sample of the yummy dog treats we're making (it's doggie jerky!) - if you want some, just drop me an email with your address (my email is bogarthandsomedevildog@yahoo.com) and I'll get ya some right out!

Love,
Bogart

Ayatollah Mugsy said...

You would have to ask Dr. Phil, Aine.

I never turn down free treats, Bogart. Bless you, my furry friend.

Fear not, my flock. I believe that Bella can yet be saved.