- Create a vaccine to prevent polio.
- Fly nonstop around the world.
- Develop an oven that uses microwave radiation to heat food quickly.
- Create a worldwide computer network. Even better, do so using a new form of computer that uses technology smaller than vacuum tubes -- "microchips," if you will.
- Find a way to sell loaves of bread in which the bread is actually divided into sections for easier consumption.
After all, why would the United States want to focus on curing diseases through stem cell research or ending our dependence on foreign oil when we can find innovative new ways to match the accomplishments of more than three decades ago?