Sunday, February 11, 2007

Big Top Mugsy

I went to see Cirque du Soleil this weekend at Dallas' Fair Park, not far from the scene of my Cotton Bowl triumph last year. I really enjoyed the show, especially the first half. I was not really sure what to expect and thought that perhaps the performance would consist of naked Frenchmen eating baguettes and cartwheeling around the stage. I am pleased to report that there was none of that. Instead, Cirque du Soleil offered an often jaw-dropping feast for the eyes. Not quite as satisfying as a feast for the belly, perhaps, but not bad. Not bad at all.

The performers pulled off some amazing feats. Among the most impressive were some who got inside large rings (imagine a 7-foot-diameter hula hoop) and spun around the stage in a manner that would make even a newly bathed pug dizzy. The show also featured a tiny woman tethered to oversized helium-filled balloons who was batted around by the crowd like a beach ball.

For all its creativity and its vague storyline about a dead clown, Cirque du Soleil's Corteo was at its heart a circus. With acrobats and trapeze artists and clowns, it brought back memories of my own brief stint as a circus performer. The ups, the downs, the cameraderie. But I don't want to bore you; I am sure nobody in the congregation wants to hear about those bygone days.

7 comments:

Deanna said...

Wrong! We want to hear! I love the circus!

Fu Fu said...

Woh Cirque du Soleil sound great.
I've seen it on tv once, there's so many things going at the same time


~ fufu

Anonymous said...

But I am fascinated with all your words--tell us about your days in the circus, Please Great One?
Kisses
Princess Lola

lalagirl said...

We are fascinated with your blog...it is very interesting to read. We need more adventures in our lives!

Porky & Brownie

TransplantedOkie said...

Thanks for the tip for visiting Italy - do you think you can get me an audience with Pope Pius Pug?

Ayatollah Mugsy said...

Cubby and Lola, I will think upon it some more and perhaps reveal details of my circus exploits.

I am glad you are finding my teachings enlightening, Porky and Brownie. I am happy to have you in the congregation.

I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a spectacle, Fufu.

Here is the plan, TransplantedOkie. After you've passed through security at the Vatican (observing the strict dress code), go to the guard station to the left of St. Peter's Basilica. Then tell the Swiss Guardsmen the following: "I am here to see the pope. The ayatollah sent me." They will take care of you.

TransplantedOkie said...

Molto Grazie!